Our Environmental Commitment Policy
Reducing our environmental impact is a key part of our 2020 strategy, with the clear support of our Chief Executive, David Montague. As a charity, it is important to us to remain committed to our customers and show we care about the communities we serve, our staff and the environment.
Here are some of the things we’ve been doing:
- Reaching out to our residents through our EnergySave and EnergySave2 programmes. So far, we have saved more than 21,000 residents over £200 per year on energy bills
- We have installed over 550 solar panels on our blocks of flats across London
- We have installed loft and cavity wall insulation to hundreds of homes, through both internal and ECO funding
- We have embarked on our programme to bring all properties up to a minimum energy efficiency standard by 2020
- In addition, we have built numerous code level 3, 4 and 5 (levels of sustainability) developments over the last few years, and are currently building our first Passivhaus
Our Offices and Operations
- We are looking to install solar PV on as many offices as we can
- We are working to reduce waste in our canteen through a number of initiatives.
- We have a fully developed and tracked Environmental Management System and report on our work through our annual CSR (corporate social responsibility) report.
- We are looking at our supply chain and introducing reporting requirements.
- We have introduced new recycling bins and raised awareness to ensure they are used properly, and that waste is reduced.
- We’ve been running workshops across L&Q throughout 2015 to raise awareness of our environmental commitments and encourage staff to contribute to meeting our targets.
- All staff are asked to commit to our CSR and environment work when they apply for jobs.
- Every employee made an environmental pledge in 2014 and were asked to review it in 2015.
- We have an energy & environment iLearn module for all new starters.
- We encourage staff to take public transport or to share car journeys